If your business doesn’t yet have a blog, you NEED one now! I’m not even kidding. Having a blog for your business will vastly improve your SEO, making your business more visible online. It can also increase traffic to your website, as Internet users will have added motivation to visit your pages. Seriously, creating a business blog will be one of the best marketing decisions you ever make.
The thought of creating a blog might be intimidating. There’s a lot of technical, computer-y information that you’ll need to know. There’s some grunt work involved in organizing the design of your blog. And then you’ll have to regularly write and publish new articles.
However, it’s really not as difficult as it seems. These few steps will help simplify what seems like a complicated process:
- Find a blogging platform that works for you. WordPress is the most popular, but there are a few others out there that might be better for you. It only takes a little bit of research to discover the pros and cons of each. Then create your blog!
- Right now, your blog is being hosted by whatever platform you chose. Notice that the domain is www.yourblog.bloggingplatform.com. This is not great for SEO (though it won’t hurt you either, so don’t panic!). You’ll need to find a hosting company and change the domain of your blog so it reads www.yourwebsite.com/yourblog instead. Make your domain either a subdomain or a page of your main website. Put a button on your main webpage with the blog on it so that customers can find it.
- All blogging providers offer a number of different “themes” that automate your web design. Some are free and some you have to pay for. All of them can be personalized to some degree. WordPress allows you to apply plugins that will display different features on your blog. However, you may find that none of the offered themes fit in with the look of your business. In that case, you might want to consider hiring a web designer.
- Before you start writing and publishing, you’ll need to do a little research. Find out what keywords will perform the best on your blog. Use tools like Google Trends. Longer keywords (3-4 words) are better than shorter ones. For local businesses, use keywords that relate to your region.
- Start writing! Use blog posts to answer common customer questions, share relevant industry news, share news about your company, and really anything that is applicable content. If you are a local business, write about your area as well. Blog posts need to be published consistently.
- Share your blog posts! Publicize them through social media and blog directories.
Once you’ve got the hang of writing and posting, research more on good and bad SEO practices, using analytics, and publicizing individual posts.
Redbord, Michael. “How to Create a Successful Business Blog in Minutes.” http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/6240/How-to-Create-a-Successful-Business-Blog-in-Minutes.aspx. (30 Oct. 2013).